Before the initial settlement of Geelong, a sandbar across the bay from Point Lilias to Point Henry prevented ships from entering the inner harbour. Ships were required to drop anchor in the bay, and cargo was brought into Geelong on small barges. At times it was possible to walk across the bay on the sandbar at low tide.
The first channel through the sandbar was started in 1853, providing less than 4 metres draught for ships. This channel was straightened out and dredged at a depth of 6 metres in the 1860s. In 1881 a new channel started that took 12 years to complete. It was named the Hopetoun Channel after Lord Hopetoun who opened it on December 20, 1893.
Management of the channels and port was the responsibility of the Geelong Harbour Trust that was formed in December 1905. In 1981, the Port of Geelong Authority took over from the trust. The authority was privatised by the State Government in mid 1996, being sold to TNT Logistics for $49.6 million. It was later re-branded as 'GeelongPort'.
BLIGH GOVERNMENT RELEASES PLAN FOR BYFIELD AREA, NORTH OF YEPPOON STRIKES BALANCE BETWEEN RECREATION, CONSERVATION
Jun 01, 2010; BRISBANE, Qld., June 1 -- The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk, Minister for Disability Services and Multicultural Affairs issued...