is a province
of the Philippines
located in the Davao Region
. The province, called Comval
for short, used to be part of Davao del Norte
until it was made independent in 1998. It is the fourth newest province of the Philippines, behind Dinagat Islands
, Shariff Kabunsuan
and Zamboanga Sibugay
. Its capital is Nabunturan
. The province borders Davao del Norte to the west, Agusan del Sur
to the north, and Davao Oriental
to the east. To the southwest lies the Davao Gulf
People and culture
Majority of the inhabitants are migrants from Cebu and other Visayan provinces. The cultural minorities in the province include the Mansaka, Mandaya, Dibabawons, Mangguangans and Aeta groups such as the Talaingod, Langilan, and Matigsalug.
The main source of livelihood of this province is agri products. Like rice, coconut, and banana. Some residents have fishponds and culture their own fish like tilapia, milkfish and a lot more.
Compostela Valley is subdivided into 11 municipalities.
- Maragusan: Aguacan Inland Resort, Tagbibinta Falls, Mt. Candalaga
- New Bataan: Manurigao Falls, White Peak, Andap Inland Resort
- Nabunturan: Mainit Hot Spring, San Vicente Caves, Toyuzu Inland Resort
- Magnaga, Pantukan Beach Resorts and Hotels
- Mabini: Manaklay Beach Park and Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Mabini: Beach View Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Mabini: Bern's Beach Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Monkayo: kubilan cave,octagon park, mt.diwata mining,monkayo gymnasium
Created by Republic Act No. 8470 on March 7 1998.
Monkayo: Cultural activities
-celebrated every 3rd week of December, Simballay Festival showcases different cultures in the capital municipality Nabunturan
- AniBina Bulawanon Festival
-showcases the culture of Compostela Valley. This event is celebrated from March 1 to 8 which is also the founding anniversary of the province.
-celebrated every June 19 to 23, culminating on the 23rd - the Founding day of the Municipality of Compostela
-celebrated every December showcasing lighted booths and barangay corners within the Poblacion of the Municipality of Montevista.
-celebrated every founding anniversary of the Municipality of Maco as well as the Mother of Perpetual Help Fiesta Celebration every 4th week of June
-celebrated together with the Araw ng Monkayo (in the municipality of Monkayo) every 4th day of September
- Joint Oathtaking Ceremony of Provincial elected Officials, June 30, 2007 at 4:00pm at the Provincial Capitol grounds, Cabidianan, Nabunturan, Compostela Valley Province. Theme: "Compostela Valley... a new era of unity and good governance."
Updated by: RAMON B. BONZO, III Compostela Research Center for Social Development firstname.lastname@example.org