is the seventeenth episode of the third season of the US version of The Office
. It aired on February 22
. It is written by Paul Lieberstein
and directed by Alias
creator J. J. Abrams
, and Karen
attend a cocktail party hosted by Dunder-Mifflin's CFO David Wallace
. Jan and Michael choose to make their relationship public at this event.
With the branch managers away, the remainder of the office goes to happy hour at Poor Richard's. While there, Creed is greeted warmly by a group of teenagers to whom he sold fake IDs. Pam reminds Roy that, as her boyfriend, he needs to attend as well. Roy brings his brother, who "took a bath" selling their jet skis.
At the party, Karen plays a joke on Jim by identifying many people at the party as former boyfriends, Dwight takes it upon himself to give the house a thorough inspection, and Michael's public displays of affection make Jan uncomfortable. Towards the end of the evening, the CFO invites Jim to shoot hoops in the backyard. As Michael and Jan drive home together, they have an awkward argument regarding their future together.
At Poor Richard's, Pam tells Roy she wants a fresh start in their relationship and tells him about the "Casino Night" kiss. Roy reacts violently, and, along with his brother, begins destroying the bar. Pam calls off their relationship.
After Roy's brother uses the jet ski money to pay off the bar for damages, Roy angrily mutters, "I am gonna kill Jim Halpert."
The Season Three DVD contains a number of deleted scenes. Notable cut scenes include:
- Stanley reacts violently when he sees Ryan talking to his daughter Melissa.
- Extensions of Michael's attempt to get Jim to carpool, the talking head interview with Jan, Dwight's upstairs house inspection, and his conversation with the CFO's son.
- Michael shows off his framed "love contract". Coincidentally, Rashida Jones appears in a Chappelle's Show sketch called "The Love Contract."
- For a list of songs featured in this episode, see List of songs featured on The Office
- The first reference to Andy Bernard being in anger management training is made by Karen, although Andy is not specifically named.
- Michael toasts Lee Iacocca and "his failed experiment", the De Lorean, which was actually created by John De Lorean.
- This is the first episode to portray Poor Richard's Pub, an actual pub in Scranton. It had previously been mentioned as a favorite hangout of the office staff.
- The drinking game played at the bar is called "Up Jenkins!
- Pam's drawing that was purchased by Michael in "Business School" now appears in the office.
- Michael's mention of attending magic camp is a callback to "A Benihana Christmas".
- David Wallace's son is played by Owen Daniels, the son of show creator Greg Daniels.
- David Wallace's house is originally seen in "Branch Closing".
- When Dwight describes that Michael will escape by dislocating his shoulder, is a direct reference to Lethal Weapon 2.