Clutton is a village and civil parish within the Chew Valley in Somerset in the Bath and North East Somerset Council area on the A37 road. It is located 10 miles from Bristol and Bath, very near Temple Cloud. The nearest town is Midsomer Norton [5 miles]. The parish includes the hamlet of Breach.
According to Robinson it was called Clutone in the 1086 Domesday Book meaning 'A rocky hill enclosure' from the Old English cludig and tun, but he also points out there is an obscure Celtic word cluttya meaning a 'hen's roost'.
There is a long history of coal mining in the village and the surrounding Somerset coalfield, but the mines are no longer working. The mines around Clutton were owned by the Earl of Warwick, who also owned sawmills, quarries, brickworks and agricultural interests. The village formerly had a station on the Bristol and North Somerset Railway.
Clutton, has a Parish council which has some responsibility for local issues, and, along with Stanton Drew and Chelwood, is part of the Clutton Ward which is represented by one councillor on the Bath and North East Somerset Unitary Authority which has wider responsibilities for services such as education, refuse, tourism etc. The village is a part of the Wansdyke constituency, which will become North East Somerset at the next general election and part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
According to the 2001 Cenusus The Clutton Ward (which includes Stanton Drew and Chelwood), had 1,290 residents, living in 483 households, with an average age of 40.3 years. Of these 72% of residents describing their health as 'good', 22% of 16-74 year olds had no qualifications; and the area had an unemployment rate of 2.2% of all economically active people aged 16-74. In the Index of Multiple Deprivation 2004, it was ranked at 24,527 out of 32,482 wards in England, where 1 was the most deprived LSOA and 32,482 the least deprived.
The church is dedicated to St Augustine of Hippo. It dates from around 1190, but has had several major restorations. The tower is made of red sandstone with diagonal buttresses ending in pinacles and probably dates from 1726. The tower contains two bells dating from 1734 and made by Thomas Bilbie of the Bilbie family. The church is a Grade II* listed building Two railed Tomb Enclosures within the Broadribb family plot are also listed as Grade II as are a group of 3 Broadribb and Purnell monuments The church is currently under a small amount of renovation
Further information and pictures of this church are available from: