The Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Light Railway
was a pre-grouping
railway company that served part of south Shropshire
The line had a junction with the Great Western Railway (GWR) at Cleobury Mortimer. It opened in 1908 and was absorbed into the GWR in 1922.
After 30 years of passengers services, the line closed just before the start of WWII.
The line was then used by the Royal Navy which had an armaments depot at the end of line outside Ditton Priors. The railway finally closed in 1960.
Secret Royal Navy Armaments Depot
The depot, which had 25 magazines and four underground mines, opened in 1941 around Brown Clee Hill
. The buildings were camouflaged and served by rail sidings
. Trains and their dangerous cargo could then be loaded and unloaded inside. Site Report
In 1960 the railway line was finally closed but the Royal Navy continued to use Ditton Priors until 1965. The following the year the depot was taken over by US forces that had left France following the French's withdrawal from NATO's military structure.
The depot finally closed in 1968.
Parts of the site are now occupied by an industrial estate and fireworks factory. Many of the original buildings have new uses.
Land adjacent to the defunct railway line was sold off by the MOD in 1971. Ten farms have been created in this area.