Clane (Claonadh in Irish) is a village on the River Liffey and in the barony of Clane in County Kildare, Ireland. It is situated 32 km from Dublin, at the crossroads of the R403 and R407 regional roads, halfway between Maynooth and Naas in north Kildare.
Its population of 4,968 (as recorded in the Census of 2006) makes it the eighth largest town in Kildare and the 78th largest in the Republic of Ireland. Since the 1990s Clane has undergone rapid development and an increase in population as its status as a satellite town to the City of Dublin has become more prominent.
The name Clane is an Anglicised version of the word claonadh, which means bend or slope. The River Liffey meanders slightly at Clane, coming along the road leading towards Naas. In the medieval period the barony of Clane was known as Otymy. The medieval barony of Otymy was granted by the Earl of Leinster, Strongbow, to Adam de Hereford before 1176. Adam gave it to his brother Richard de Hereford. It was partitioned between his granddaughters who married Sir John Staunton and John’s son Adam.