Definitions

City of Hamilton (Victoria)

City of Hamilton (Victoria)

The City of Hamilton was a Local Government Area located about west of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The city covered an area of , and existed from 1859 until 1994. Its area was surrounded by the Shire of Dundas.

History

Hamilton was first incorporated as a municipal district on 1 November 1859. It became a borough on 11 September 1863 and a town on 28 March 1928. It was proclaimed as a city on 22 November 1949.

On 23 September 1994, the City was abolished, and merged with Shire of Wannon and most of Mount Rouse and Dundas into the Shire of Southern Grampians.

The City of Hamilton was not subdivided into wards, and its nine councillors represented the entire area.

Population

Year Population
1954 8,507
1958 9,280*
1961 9,495
1966 10,052
1971 9,673
1976 9,504
1981 9,751
1986 9,969
1991 9,753
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.

References

Search another word or see City of Hamilton (Victoria)on Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature