Small fort in this area is mentioned in 1336. This fortress protected crossing of two roads. Ruins of the fortress are almost invisible now. Name of the place is related to evergreens (chvojí) as the area was thickly forested at the time. During 18th century the village, together with Rokytno and Býšť, was center of persecuted religious sect of Deists (called blouznivci).