Chinley is a rural village in High Peak Borough, situated on the western edge of the Peak District National Park in Derbyshire, England, with a population of around 2000. Before the railway, the area was economically dominated by agriculture and quarrying. Three textile mills were established in the valley during the 19th century. Nowadays most inhabitants commute out of the village to work.
Nearby Ford Hall was the home of the Reverend William Bagshaw, the 'Apostle of the Peak', after he was ejected from the vicarage on the Act of Uniformity in 1662.
The coming of the railways was the reason Chinley grew from the tiny hamlet it had been, and the village is actually named after its station, rather than the other way around. Previously the names Maynestonefield or Four Lanes End were used. Chinley railway station was once an important railway junction on the Midland Railway's Dore and Chinley line and its London-bound extension through Millers Dale, and it was common to have to change trains in Chinley en route for Manchester, London or Sheffield. The station is now a single 'island' platform on the trans-Pennine line between Sheffield and Manchester and the glamour is gone.
Chinley lies in the Blackbrook valley. To the North is Cracken Edge, a much-quarried promontory of Chinley Churn, a large fairly nondescript hill. To the south is Eccles Pike, an almost-conical hill, partly owned by the National Trust. Nearby is Chapel-en-le-Frith, Glossop and also close is Buxton, famous for its mineral water.