It was near the village of New Mill End but took its name from the nearby Chiltern Hills. Adjacent to it was the GNR station of Luton Hoo. The two lines ran side by side at this point, the Midland into Luton Midland Road, the GNR from Hertford North into Luton Bute Street.
The station closed in 1952 due to competition from Luton Hoo station, only away. The station buildings survive to this day as a private home. The platform on the station building side partly survives but is overgrown and difficult to see when passing in a train. The other platform was removed when the line was electrified.