At the border between Kentucky and Tennessee, the left bank of the Mississippi River strikes the western edge of these uplands, exposing four banks of up to thirty feet in height. These Chickasaw Bluffs were numbered by rivermen from one to four starting from the north.
The French Fort Prudhomme, or Prud'homme, was established at one of these river bluffs by La Salle in 1682. This may have been at the Second Chickasaw Bluff, although all of the others have been variously cited as well. This location was also the meeting place of d'Artaguette, Chicagou and de Vincennes before their ill fated 1736 attack against the Chickasaw.
The Chickasaw Bluff secured Memphis from river floods, while a rare shelf of sandstone below provided a secure boat landing, making this the "only site for a commercial mart" between the Ohio River and Vicksburg, Mississippi.