Chelan County P.U.D. Logo
|Number and Type of Power Generation Plants:||3 Hydroelectric , limited solar, and emergency diesel generators|
|Energy Production||9 million megawatt hours|
|Power Poles||Approximately 25,000|
|Miles of Line||Approximately|
|Average Residential Rate||2.97 cents/kilowatt-hour|
It is organized under state statute as a nonprofit municipal corporation and functions as a customer-owned public co-operative energy district. It is governed by a Board of Commissioners elected by the customer-owners, who, as owners, receive dividends (in the form of reduced rates) based on the income of the District.
Generating stations include three hydroelectric dams, as well as a limited amount of solar power. The District maintains diesel generators for use in emergencies. Distribution facilities include transmission lines, switchyards and ancillary equipment.
The District's three hydroelectric generating projects have a combined total generating capacity of over 2,000 megawatts of hydropower, advantageous because of its low-cost, nonpolluting, and renewable nature. The three produce about 9 million megawatt-hours of power each year, enough to meet the needs of a city of more than 900,000.
37 percent of the total generating capacity is used to meet the needs of its Chelan County customers, including a portion of Alcoa's power-intensive Wenatchee aluminum smelter. The remaining 63 percent of the total generating capacity is mainly sold to four principal power purchasers: Puget Sound Energy, Avista Corporation, PacifiCorp, and Portland General Electric Company transmitted throughout the Pacific Northwest over a grid of high-voltage transmission lines for. Chelan County residents and more than 7 million electric customers in the Pacific Northwest benefit from the low-cost electricity produced by the District. District residents, however, reaped the greatest rewards: The average residential electric rate in Chelan County is about 3 cents per kilowatt hour. By comparison, the national average residential rate is 8 cents per kilowatt hour, 267% more.
Chelan County PUD also offers water and wastewater services, as well as Washington state's largest open-access, fiber-to-the-premises fiber-optic network.
Chelan County Public Utility District commissioners voted to change the name of Rock Island Hydro Park to Kirby Billingsley Hydro Park.(PUD news)
Jan 01, 2008; * Chelan County Public Utility District commissioners voted to change the name of Rock Island Hydro Park to Kirby Billingsley...
Contractors replace underground lines near college.(Chelan County Public Utility District contracts with Rayfield Brothers Excavating, Hawkeye Construction)(Brief Article)
Jul 01, 2005; Rayfield Brothers Excavating and Hawkeye Construction, contractors for Chelan County Public Utility District, have started on a...