The station opened on 15 March 1847 when the line to Abbeville opened to passengers. The station building was subsequently replaced by the present structure following the allied bombardment and was built in 1955 by Auguste Perret. A tower called the Tour Perret was built at the same time and close to the station.
Nord is both a terminus and a through station, the passenger concourse was built over the six platforms to facilitate passenger movement. Although the station front was built between adjoining buildings the hall is as big as its Parisian counterparts.