|Chandra or Handra|
|Municipal district:||Chandras (seat)|
41.5004 (41° 31' 2") N 26.3013 (26° 18' 11") E
| Population: (2001)|
-Percent of the municipality
223 (-101 or -64 or -22.9% from 1991)
| Altitude: |
| about 110 m|
about 350 m
|Postal code:||GR-682 00|
|Car designation:|| |
Chandras or Handras (Greek: Χανδράς), accented form: Chandrás or Handrás is a village in the municipality of Vyssa in the northern part of the Evros Prefecture in Greece. Ambelakia are connected with two roads connecting the GR-51 (Alexandroupoli - Orestiada - Nea Vyssa - Ormenio). The area are mainly made up of hills and mountains, farmlands dominate the area.
Chandras is located about 22 km west of Orestiada, 25 km northwest of Didymoteicho, 25 km west of the Turkish border and Edirne, north-northeast of Alexandroupoli and about 1,010 km northeast of Athens and east-southeast of Ormenio, the Bulgarian border and Svilengrad.
|Year||Village population||Change||Percent of the municipality|
|1991||287||-35 or -10.87%||-|
|2001||223||-64 or -22.3%||1.03%|
It was annexed to Greece in 1920, prior it was ruled by the Ottomans. Its population were made up of Bulgarians, Turks and Greeks, refugees east of the Evros river and from Asia Minor rarely arrived into the village during the Asia Minor Catastrophe and the Bulgarians and the Turks left, its population became entirely Greek. It became entirely Chandra after the annexation, between 1913 and 1920, the Bulgarian-Turkish border was near the area. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, many of its buildings were rebuilt. Electricity and automobiles arrived in the 1960s, it was linked with pavement in the late-20th century, television arrived in the 1980s. Internet and computers arrived in the late-1990s. The village's decline in population was several in the prefecture that did not lost as much, it lost by a tiny bit 14% 1991 and 2001, down from 16% between 1981 and 1991.