Valençay is a commune in the Indre department in central France.
It is situated in the Loire Valley on a hillside overlooking the Nahon river.
The commune was formed by the amalgamation of three settlements: the "Bourg-de-l'Eglise", the "Bas-Bourg", and what is called the "old quarter."
On May 6, 1941, Georges Bégué, the first SOE agent from England was parachuted into a field near Valençay. Fifty years to the day, the Valençay SOE Memorial, originally known as the "Spirit of Partnership," was dedicated in honor of the 104 members of SOE's F Section who died for the liberation of France.
The town is dominated by the Château de Valençay
, built in 1540
by Robert d'Estampes
and most notably acquired in 1747
by the Scottish Banker John Law
. Later, in 1803
the castle was purchased by the diplomat Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
The town is known for its pyramid shaped Valençay cheese
made from raw goat milk.