Pope Gregory XVI presented Bishop Mathias Loras with the remains of St. Cessianus in 1838. Bishop Loras brought the remains with him to the United States. The Dubuque Diocese then stored the remains until 1986.
After renovations carried out in the mid 1980s at St. Raphael's Cathedral were completed, it was decided to place the remains of Saint Cessianus in the new main altar. On November 23, 1986, the wooden box containing the remains of St. Cessianus was installed in the altar during mass, where they currently reside.