Cease to Begin
is the second full-length album by Band of Horses
. It was released on October 9
. Lead singer Ben Bridwell said about the album in an interview: "I guess the first record
had some kind of country-ish leanings and things [but] I think there's maybe a little bit more of [that] feeling on it, a little more down-home, I guess, and not so much indie rock.
The first track, "Is There a Ghost," was made available for download on the band's MySpace page on August 28, 2007. This song was #93 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007.
[No byline ([[December 11]], []). [http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17601363/the_100_best_songs_of_2007/24 "The 100 Best Songs of 2007"] ''Rolling Stone''. Retrieved [[2007-12-21]]] The album leaked to the internet before its release. Shortly after the official release, the album's third track and second single "No One's Gonna Love You" was featured as a free [[iTunes]] download, distributed at [[Starbucks]] locations.
The album debuted at number 35 on the U.S. [[Billboard 200]] chart, selling about 21,000 copies in its first week. [Jonathan Cohen, [http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003617799 "Kid Rock Rolls To No. 1 Album Chart Debut"], Billboard.com, October 17, 2007.] This album was #47 on ''[[Rolling Stone]]'''s list of the Top 50 Albums of 2007.
Cease to Begin was released in Japan on July 23, 2008 by Tear Bridge Records. The album featured three live bonus tracks and an enhanced video for "Is There a Ghost."
- "Is There a Ghost" - 2:59
- "Ode to LRC" - 4:16
- "No One's Gonna Love You" - 3:37
- "Detlef Schrempf" - 4:28
- "The General Specific" - 3:07
- "Lamb on the Lam (in the City)" - 0:50
- "Islands on the Coast" - 3:34
- "Marry Song" - 3:23
- "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" - 4:35
- "Window Blues" - 4:01
- "No One's Gonna Love You" (Live BBC Session) (Japan-only bonus track)
- "Is There a Ghost" (Live BBC Session) (Japan-only bonus track)
- "Act Together" (Live BBC Session) (Japan-only bonus track)
- "Is There a Ghost" (enhanced video) (Japan-only bonus track)
- "Is There a Ghost" (August 28, 2007)
- "No One's Gonna Love You" (February 25, 2008)
- Produced by Phil Ek and Band of Horses.
- All songs written by Band of Horses, except "Act Together" written by Ronnie Wood.