Definitions

Catherine de Medicis

Catherine-de-Barnes

Catherine-de-Barnes (known to locals as Catney) is a village within the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull in the English county of West Midlands. It is split between the unparished area of Solihull and the Hampton-in-Arden parish, situated about 2 miles east of Solihull town centre.

Its name comes from Ketelberne, the man who owned it after the Norman Conquest. However, it is mainly a later settlement, probably dating from the building of the Grand Union Canal there.

Behind the village's only pub, The Boat Inn, lies the home of Catherine-de-Barnes Cricket Club (more commonly known as Catney) which has been in existence since 1949. The ground is accessed via the narrow passageway between the pub and the adjacent bungalows, and has plenty of parking space.

Catney currently have first and second XIs in the 'John Shepherd Cotswold Hills League'.

In 1907, a "fever hospital" was built in Henwood Lane as a joint operation of the Solihull and Meriden Councils for isolating patients with infectious diseases such as diphtheria, typhoid fever and smallpox. In 1978, Janet Parker died here, as the last known victim of smallpox.

Search another word or see Catherine de Medicison Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature