The Cathcart District Railway
was authorised on 7 September 1880
. The eastern section to Cathcart opened to the Mount Florida station on 1 March 1886
. The line was completed through to the first Cathcart railway station on 25 May 1886
.. The Extension Line which completed the western half of the line was authorised on 10 June 1890
, being completed on 2 April 1894
It linked the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway and the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
In the 1923 Railway Grouping it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS).
The original route
The route diverges from the link line between Glasgow Central
and the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
at Muirhouse North Junction just north of Albert Road. After Pollokshields East
the line turns east passing firstly under the St Enoch
route of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
running in cutting
to Mount Florida. The line, now heading south reaches the complex of junctions at Cathcart where connection is made with the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
. Within these junctions is the location of Cathcart railway station
The extension line
The western extension heads east, mainly on embankments as far ar Pollokshaws East
. Beyond Shawlands
the line crosses over the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
, turning north to reach Maxwell Park
. The final section through to Pollokshields West
heads east before joining the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
and the Glasgow Central line of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
at Muirhouse Central Junction.
- Cunnison, J. and Gilfillan, J.B.S., (1958). The Third Statistical Account of Scotland: Glasgow. Glasgow: William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd.
- Little, M., (1979). Greater Glasgow's Railway Network. In: ''Scottish Transport, 33, Scottish Tramway Museum Society. ISSN 0048-9808.
- RAILSCOT on Cathcart District Railway