The chapel was licensed in 1352 and built in 1366, in the year that Pope Urban V granted the Master and Fellows permission to celebrate Mass in the college. In 1729, Sir Nathaniel Lloyd redecorated the chapel in what, despite subsequent enlargements, remains an intimate style, forming the smallest of the University's chapels. The painting in the chapel is Maso da San Friano's Salutation or Visitation, depicting Mary's visit to Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist.
Like the chapel, the Hall of the college was rebuilt by Sir Nathaniel Lloyd and enlarged in the 19th century. It also remains one of the smallest and most intimate halls in the University.
The college library was built in the late sixteenth century, probably during the mastership of Thomas Preston and is now principally used for the storage of manuscripts and rare books. The new Jerwood Library overlooking the river was opened by Lord Howe in 1999.
The college also owns properties in the centre of Cambridge; on Bateman Street; and on its Wychfield Site next to Fitzwilliam College.
It is a relatively small institution when compared to its larger but younger neighbour, Trinity College, founded in 1546. At first all colleges in Cambridge were known as halls (e.g. Pembroke College was called Pembroke Hall) and then later changed their names from Hall to College. However, when Henry VIII founded Trinity College (thereby effectively stealing Trinity Hall's name) next door, it became clear that Trinity Hall would continue being known as a Hall. This is also why it is incorrect to call it Trinity Hall College.
The present Master is historian Professor Martin Daunton
The Masters of Trinity Hall include:
|Hans Blix||1928||Former UN Chief Weapons Inspector|
|Marshall McLuhan||1911||1980||Media theorist|
|Frances Harrison||1966||BBC Tehren Corrspondent|
|Chris Weitz||1969||Film Director|
|Rachel Weisz||1971||Academy Award-winning actress|
|Robert Runcie||1921||2000||Former Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Andrew Marr||1959||Political journalist and broadcaster|
|Nicholas Hytner||1956||Theatre and film director|
|Terry Waite||1939||Fellow Commoner of Trinity Hall|
|Geoffrey Howe||1926||Former MP and Chancellor of the Exchequer|
|Mark Tully||1935||BBC radio broadcaster|
|Donald Maclean||1913||1983||Soviet spy|
|Khwaja Nazimuddin||1894||1964||Pakistan's second Prime Minister|
|David Sheppard||1929||2005||Bishop and cricketer|
|Billy Fiske||1911||1940||Olympian and first American fatality of WWII|
|Tony Slattery||1959||Perrier Comedy Award-winning comedian|
|Matthew Holness||Perrier Comedy Award-winning creator of Garth Marenghi|
|Lord Millett||1932||Law Lord|
|Lord Nicholls||1933||Law Lord|
|Nicholas Tomalin||1931||1973||Journalist and reporter|
|Thomas Bilney||1495||1531||Protestant reformer and martyr|
|Alfred Maudslay||1850||1931||Archaeologist, explorer, and diplomat|
|Emma Pooley||1982||Olympic silver medalist|