The town rises on a rock and is split into two parts by the steep Fiumarella valley, the two sections being connected by a huge concrete steel bridge (the Viadotto Morandi), among the highest in Europe, built in 1960 on a design by architect Riccardo Morandi. The beach side neighborhood Catanzaro Lido, located about 5 kilometers south, has a wide promenade and a harbor for small fishing and pleasure boats.
The old town was built over three hills (St. Trifone or St. Rocco Hill; Episcopate's Hill; St. John's Hill) in Byzantine times.
In the 15th century, under the Aragonese domination of southern Italy, Catanzaro was the silk producing capital of the world that created silks and lace for the world's courts and Vatican. Merchants often came from all over Europe to buy the silk in the port of Reggio Calabria before Pentecost day.
During the revolt of Calabrian barons of 1528, the Spanish viceroy Pedro Alarcon de Mendoza with 11,000 loyal troops resisted a long siege, gaining for the city the title of magnifica at fidelissima by emperor Charles V and the right to mint coin.
A devastating earthquake in 1783 wiped away churches, palaces and a large part of the population, and a second in earthquake in 1832 completed the destruction of most of the ancient historical buildings.
Catanzaro was once a flourishing Byzantine center as well as an early Norman outpost. The former Norman castle still remains today.
In the city centre is a funicular line with three stations. A metropolitan service (with c. 1,600,000 users per year, with 20 trains working) is provided by Ferrovie della Calabria, with a total of 11 railway stations in the city, plus others in 12 comuni of the hinterland. The rest of the public transportation system is based on 49 bus lines of AMC (Azienda per la Mobilità Catanzaro).
`Cowering Women, Combative Men?': Femininity, Masculinity, and Ethnicity on Strike in Two Southern Ontario Towns, 1964-1966
Mar 22, 1997; Robert A. Ventresca, "'Cowering Women, Combative Men Femininity, Masculinity, and Ethnicity on Strike in Two Southern Ontario...