The "Casa del Moral"
(House of the Moral) is a large ancestral house built around 1730
. Favored by tourists, it is one of the best and well-preserved samples of baroque-mestizo
civil architecture in Peru. The name of the house derives from the emblematic
presence of a centennial tree of "moras" (blackberries
) in the center of the main patio of the large house.
The Casa del Moral houses a collection of paintings from the "Escuela Cusqueña" (School of Cusco), a colonial artform. Its library contains more than 3,000 volumes, primarily hispanic literature. The recent restoration of the house was with the help of the Consul of England in Arequipa; the house is currently the property of the Peruvian bank Bancosur.