It was built in the period 1883-1889 and is located at Carrer de les Carolines 24, in the Gràcia district of Barcelona. The site was small (smaller today after the widening of the street) and conventional structures already existed in the area. Nevertheless, the house is sizeable, measuring some on four levels.
This early work exhibits several influences, most notably the Moorish (or Mudéjar) influence, particularly evident at the top. The house is constructed of undressed stone, rough red bricks, and colored ceramic tiles in checkerboard and floral patterns. The owner, Manuel Vicens, was the owner of a brick and tile factory, so the ceramic tiles pay tribute to his employment. The yellow, zinnia-flowered tile, designed by Gaudí, was manufactured by Vicens.
The plan is asymmetrical with protruding gables and buttresses. Galleries project even farther at the top. Rooftop towers are reminiscent of Moorish architecture.
Because the house is a private residence, its interior cannot be visited. Nevertheless, the house is generally open to "neighbours and citizens" on Saint Rita's Day, May 22.