Carvoeiro, or more commonly Praia de Carvoeiro (although this is no longer its formal name), is a Portuguese civil parish/freguesia in the municipality/concelho of Lagoa (Algarve), about 5 km south of the city itself (on the Atlantic Ocean), 14.12 km² in area with 2,784 inhabitant (2001). The population density is 197.2 people/km². It was created as a separate freguesia in 1985 and raised to the status of town on April 19, 2001.
There are traces of Roman habitation and naval activity in the area. There has also been a long history of pirate and enemy military assaults on the coast, and a number of naval battles here, most notably the battle in 1544 between a squadron of ships under D. Petro da Cunha, and the Turkish corsair (barbary pirate), Xarramet.
According to historical sources, the name of the village derives from “Caboiere,” an old name for a hamlet of fishermen from the Islamic-medieval period. For most of its history, fishing was the mainstay of the local economy.
However, from the 1960s onward, tourism gradually became the economic base of the area, with many new hotels, apartment complexes, shops, roads, and a significant improvement in the infrastructure.