The fourth season of Canadian Idol
began in February 2006 ran until September 2006. Zack Werner
, Jake Gold
, Sass Jordan
, and Farley Flex
returned to judge, and Ben Mulroney
returned to host, with Elena Juatco
as the new roving reporter. The season premiered on May 29
, five days after the finale of American Idol
Season 5. The Canadian Idol title was crowned to competitor Eva Avila
on September 17, 2006.
On Saturday, September 16, 2006, a day prior to the public announcement of the Idol results, Sony BMG Music Entertainment began offering Avila's version of the first single, Meant to Fly, for sale on the website Although the page was subsequently blanked, the artwork for the single could be located within the image files of the webpage. This occurrence led to the creation of many rumours regarding the winner of the competition.
Auditions were held in eleven cities in the Winter
and early Spring
of 2006 in the following order:
Top 22, The Semi-Finals
For the fourth season, the format of the preliminary rounds was changed, based on American Idol
's Top 24. The wildcard round was abolished; instead, the Top 22 was divided into a group of 11 men and another group of 11 women. Two competitors were eliminated from each group for three weeks, resulting in a Top 10 for the finals.
The Toronto elimination rounds were aired in a two-hour broadcast on June 20. One original member of the Top 22, Phil King, dropped out for unspecified personal reasons and was replaced by Chris Labelle.
Those who were eliminated before the finals are listed below.
- Sheldon Elter, 27, is from Edmonton, Alberta and an accomplished local theatrical writer and actor. His one-man play, Metis Mutt, which was performed at the Edmonton Fringe Festival in 2002, won him two local awards. He is the first aboriginal competitor in the program's history.
- Keith Macpherson, 27, is from Winnipeg, Manitoba but auditioned in Toronto. An English major at the University of Winnipeg, he sings in the local pop group Easily Amused.
- Chris Labelle, 24, is a bar server from Ottawa, Ontario. He was originally cut from the Top 22, but was named to the semi-finals after Phil King quit.
- Greg Neufeld, 22, is from Abbotsford, British Columbia and auditioned in Vancouver. He is a member of the band Di Marco. Greg auditioned again for Canadian Idol Season 5 and made the Top 10.
- Jeremy Kozielec (or simply Koz), 26, is from Winnipeg, Manitoba and the lead singer of independent band Floor 13. He made the top 50 for Rock Star: INXS in 2005.
- Nathan Brown, 26, is from Dewberry, Alberta, and auditioned in Edmonton. He is a former cruise ship singer and has built his own personal recording studio in his home.
- Ashley Coles, 16, is from Caledonia, Ontario, who auditioned in Kitchener. She is a Grade 11 student at McKinnon Park Secondary School.
- Nancy Silverman, 19, is from Thornhill, Ontario and auditioned in Kitchener. She is a student of musical theatre at Sheridan College.
- Alisha Nauth, 19, is from Kitchener, Ontario, and a student at Humber College. She has performed at several local events and competitions in her career.
- Alyssa Klazek, 17, is from Calgary, Alberta and auditioned in Edmonton. She is a Grade 11 student at Bishop Carroll High School.
- Anna-Belle Oliva, 20, is from Montreal, Quebec and a recent graduate of a musical school. Her audition video centered around the recent death of her brother. When she was 16 years old, she was in the TV series Mixmania in Quebec, in a group called Aucun Regret.
- Valérie Jalbert, 21, a music teacher from Saint-Jerome, Quebec who auditioned in Montreal, is the first competitor in Canadian Idol history to reach the semi-finals in two different seasons. She was eliminated in the first voting round in Season 2.
Top 10, The Finals
After the Semi-Finals, the final 10 competitors are faced with a new theme challenge every week. Based on public voiting, one finalist is eliminated each week. The season finale of Canadian Idol took place on September 17, 2006. It was moved from its usual Tuesday result show to Sunday to help CTV premiere their new fall TV shows like The Amazing Race. Eva Avila from Gatineau, Quebec is 2006 Canadian Idol.
||Eva Avila, 19, is a postal clerk from Hull, Quebec, who auditioned in Ottawa. She was a former winner of the Jeune Diva du Quebec contest. She is 2006 Canadian Idol.|
- Top 22: Angel (Sarah McLachlan)
- Top 18: Killing Me Softly with His Song (Roberta Flack)
- Top 14: Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell)
- Top 10: Powerless (Say What You Want) (Nelly Furtado)
- Top 9: Wild Horses (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: White Wedding (Billy Idol) - Bottom 3 08/01/06
- Top 7: Who Wants to Live Forever (Queen)
- Top 6: How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? (Prince)
- Top 5: Here You Come Again (Dolly Parton) - Bottom 2 08/22/06
- Top 4: Would I Lie to You? (Eurythmics) and Old Skool Love (Divine Brown)
- Top 3: God Bless the Child (Billie Holiday) and They Can't Take That Away From Me (George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin)
- Top 2: Wild Horses (Natasha Bedingfield), How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? (Prince) and Meant to Fly (winner's single) - Crowned Canadian Idol 09/17/06
||Craig Sharpe, 16, is from Upper Island Cove, Newfoundland, and auditioned in St. John's. He is a grade 11 student at Ascension Collegiate School.|
- Top 22: What Hurts the Most (Rascal Flatts)
- Top 18: This I Promise You ('N Sync)
- Top 14: Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
- Top 10: Losing Grip (Avril Lavigne)
- Top 9: Time Is on My Side (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler)
- Top 7: Cold as Ice (Foreigner)
- Top 6: It's My Life (Bon Jovi) - Bottom 2 08/15/06
- Top 5: Always on My Mind (Willie Nelson)
- Top 4: Careless Whisper (George Michael) and Tears of a Clown (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)
- Top 3: The Way You Look Tonight (Fred Astaire) and Danny Boy (Elsie Griffin)
- Top 2: I Surrender (Celine Dion), What Hurts the Most (Rascal Flatts) and Meant to Fly (winner's single) - Eliminated 09/17/06
||Tyler Lewis, 20, is a waiter from Rockglen, Saskatchewan, and auditioned in Regina. |
- Top 22: Here Without You (Three Doors Down)
- Top 18: Mama, I'm Coming Home (Ozzy Osbourne)
- Top 14: Old Time Rock 'n' Roll (Bob Seger)
- Top 10: Too Bad (Nickelback)
- Top 9: Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: Here I Go Again (Whitesnake)
- Top 7: Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- Top 6: If You Could Only See (Tonic)
- Top 5: Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)
- Top 4: Big League (Tom Cochrane) and Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton) - Bottom 2 08/29/06
- Top 3: Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody (Louis Prima) and It Had To Be You (Isham Jones and Gus Kahn) - Eliminated 09/05/06
||Chad Doucette, 18, is from East Chezzetcook, Nova Scotia, and auditioned in Halifax. He made the Top 48 in Season 3, but was cut in the last round before the semi-finals. In Season 4, he became known for a "wardrobe malfunction" in the early rounds in which his shirt got stuck in the zipper of his pants during the middle of a song.|
- Top 22: Tonight I Wanna Cry (Keith Urban)
- Top 18: Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters)
- Top 14: Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)
- Top 10: The Other Man (Sloan)
- Top 9: You Can't Always Get What You Want (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: Never Tear Us Apart (INXS) - Bottom 2 08/01/06
- Top 7: Bad Side of the Moon (April Wine) - "an original composition by Elton John & Bernie Taupin"
- Top 6: Santa Monica (Theory of a Deadman)
- Top 5: If You Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot)
- Top 4: Hanging by a Moment (Lifehouse) and Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.) - Eliminated 08/29/06
||Steffi DiDomenicantonio (known as Steffi D), 17, is from Ottawa, Ontario. A student at Ecole secondaire De La Salle, she has been a stage performer at several Ottawa-area venues. She is known for the trademark bow in her hair.|
- Top 22: I Only Have Eyes for You (Ella Fitzgerald) - Bottom 4 06/28/06
- Top 18: White Flag (Dido)
- Top 14: Kiss Me (Sixpence None the Richer)
- Top 10: Alone in the Universe (David Usher) - Bottom 3 07/18/06
- Top 9: Miss You (Rolling Stones) - Bottom 3 07/25/06
- Top 8: It's My Life (Talk Talk)
- Top 7: Life on Mars? (David Bowie) - Bottom 2 08/08/06
- Top 6: Lovefool (The Cardigans) - Bottom 3 08/15/06
- Top 5: These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Nancy Sinatra) - Eliminated 08/22/06
||Ashley Coulter, 23, is a supermarket cashier from London, Ontario, who auditioned in Kitchener. She was a singer in a local rock band called Nemesis.|
- Top 22: Bring It on Home to Me (Sam Cooke)
- Top 18: I'm the Only One (Melissa Etheridge) - Bottom 4 07/05/06
- Top 14: Crazy (Patsy Cline)
- Top 10: American Woman (The Guess Who) - Bottom 2 07/18/06
- Top 9: Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) - Bottom 2 07/25/06
- Top 8: Eternal Flame (The Bangles)
- Top 7: Knocking on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan)
- Top 6: Crying (Roy Orbison) - Eliminated 08/15/06
||Rob James, 28, is from Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was a former member of the pop group McMaster & James who auditioned for Season 4 after his group's album deal expired. He has also written a song for the debut CD of Season 1 winner Ryan Malcolm.|
- Top 22: Let's Stay Together (Al Green) - Bottom 3 06/28/06
- Top 18: Heaven (Bryan Adams) - Bottom 4 07/05/06
- Top 14: Chariot (Gavin DeGraw)
- Top 10: Hurts to Love You (The Philosopher Kings)
- Top 9: Start Me Up (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi)
- Top 7: Some Kind of Wonderful (Grand Funk Railroad) - Eliminated 08/08/06
||Brandon Jones, 17, is from Quispamsis, New Brunswick and auditioned in his birthplace of St. John's, Newfoundland. He is a Grade 11 student at Kennebecasis Valley High School.|
- Top 22: Lady (Kenny Rogers)
- Top 18: Somebody to Love (Queen)
- Top 14: Easy (The Commodores)
- Top 10: California (Wave)
- Top 9: Jumpin' Jack Flash (Rolling Stones)
- Top 8: I'll Be There for You (Bon Jovi) - Eliminated 08/01/06
||Sarah Loverock, 25, is a supermarket supervisor from Gibsons, British Columbia, who auditioned in Vancouver and has performed in Nashville. She made it to the Top 48 in 2005's Season 3 before being cut.|
- Top 22: Since I Fell for You (Barbra Streisand)
- Top 18: I Don't Wanna Be (Gavin DeGraw)
- Top 14: She Talks to Angels (Black Crowes)
- Top 10: Life is a Highway (Tom Cochrane)
- Top 9: I Got the Blues (Rolling Stones) - Eliminated 07/25/06
||Kati Durst, 26, is an automotive detailer from Goderich, Ontario, who auditioned in Kitchener. Despite having a severe cold when auditioning, she was still put through to the next round.|
- Top 22: Drift Away (Dobie Gray)
- Top 18: I Hope You Dance (Lee Ann Womack)
- Top 14: Not Ready to Make Nice (Dixie Chicks)
- Top 10: It Makes No Difference (The Band) - Eliminated 07/18/06
The Judges' Comments
Listed below is a selection of criticisms and praises from the Judges Jake Gold, Sass Jordan, Farley Flex and Zack Werner from the Top 5 Performance show to the season finale. The songs the idols sang during the performance show can be seen on the list above.
Top 2 Performance Show
Eva Avila (Winner)
- Sass Jordan: "You are an international artist and you are the jewel in the Canadian Idol crown" (1-Wild Horses)
- Jake Gold: "I'd love to hear the recorded version of that song. It was wonderful" (2-Meant to Fly)
- Zack Werner: "You're a songwriter's dream." (2-Meant to Fly)
- Farley Flex: "Your performance was my favourite performance on Idol, but not just of you, of anybody" (3-How come you don't call me)
- Zack Werner: "Clive Davis should come here and kiss your Canadian ***" (3-How come you don't call me)
- Sass Jordan, Farley Flex, Jake Gold: [STANDING OVATION](3-How come you don't call me)
Craig Sharpe (Eliminated)
- Jake Gold: "That was, without a doubt, the best thing you've done on this show" (1-Meant to Fly)
- Farley Flex: "To step up at this point in time shows you're a man to be respected" (1-Meant to Fly)
- Zack Werner: (Hugged Craig) (1-Meant to Fly)
- Zack Werner: "You're the Freddie Mercury of Canada" (2-I Surrender)
- Sass Jordan: "The first time I saw you in Newfoundland I knew you were a star and my opinion hasn't changed a bit" (3-What hurts the most)
Top 3 Performance Show
Tyler Lewis: (Eliminated)
- Farley Flex: "You just got the most votes for one singular body movement" (1)
- Zack Werner: "It wasn't very much on the singing part but I think you may just have won Canada's next top model" (1
- Sass Jordan: "Tyler...it had to be you!" (2)
- Farley Flex:: "You really took it by the horns" (2)
- Sass Jordan: "You just did something that people can only do when they're born with it" (1)
- Zack Werner: "No disrespect to Kalan, but he's no Eva Avila" (1)
- Zack Werner: "Dude, I don't rap, you shouldn't scat," (2)
- Jake Gold: "I just didn't feel like you got into the song." (1)
- Zack Werner: "Kickstart this thing, man. Be a star, dude" (1)
- Jake Gold: "At the end you brought it right home." (2)
- Sass Jordan: "That was an unbelievably lovely performance" (2)
Top 4 Performance Show
- Zack Werner: "The fact is that song totally fits your pipes and your vibe and if you won this thing and released it, it would go number one" (1)
- Farley Flex: "It was really easy to choose songs for you" (2)
- Zack Werner: "I was all ready to go 'he shoots, he scores,' but you came out really flat in the third period" (1)
- Zack Werner: "You scared some children under their beds." (2)
Chad Doucette: (Eliminated)
- Jake Gold: "You delivered it. You did exactly what we thought you would do with that song." (1)
- Farley Flex: "The most memorable voice on the show" (1)
- Sass Jordan: "I've got to say I was hurting a bit at the beginning, but you totally redeemed yourself with that moment at the end" (2)
- Farley Flex: "You gave us a vision of who you will be." (1)
- Jake Gold: "I thought vocally it was really good, but... it's an angry song, but you were smiling" (1)
- Zack Werner: "I say Canadian Idol: Eva Avila." (2)
Top 5 Performance Show
- Jake Gold: "I always wondered how you were going to do country and you took that song and made it Eva. You made it work"
- Sass Jordan: "You're just getting better and better"
- Farley Flex: "I think the biggest thing in that performance was the maturity you showed,"
- Zack Werner: "I felt it, but you have such a unique instrument, I want you to be as big and obnoxious as me. Or Jake."
Steffi D.: (Eliminated)
- Zack Werner: "It's very cornball... But I think people have to decide, as much as I love you, if you're the next Canadian Idol."
- Farley Flex: "I'm no Farley Pride but your kinfolk should be proud."
- Zack Werner: "But to be honest, I didn't even remember I was here. I was just watching that, remembering how much I care for you from the beginning."
Each week, a song theme will be presented to the competitors. Each competitor must base their song choice on the theme of the week.
Performers on results shows
Each week, a guest performer will appear on the results show to perform one song. The guests will be listed here.
As of May 2007, only Eva Avila
and Craig Sharpe
have released solo albums. Brandon Jones has signed a two-record deal with Sound Of Pop Records and his debut album was expected to be released in May, but wasn't released until June 19th. Tyler Lewis released a solo album on June 20th called 'I'm Coming Home'. Semi-finalists Chris LaBelle and Nancy Silverman both released a CD as well, Chris' called 'Two Weeks Tuesday' and Nancy's called 'Now You Know My Secrets'.