The Canada Green Building Council
(CaGBC) was created to further the expansion of green building in Canada
. Prior to the formation of the Council, Canada had participated in the United States Green Building Council
(USGBC) through British Columbia's
membership in the USGBC's Cascadia Chapter. The Canadian Green Building Council is dedicated to promoting the LEED rating system
As stated on the CaGBC wesite:
"The Canada Green Building Council is being formed to accelerate the design and construction of Green Buildings across Canada.
The Council is a broad-based inclusive coalition of representatives from different segments of the design and building industry.
The Council will work to:
- change industry standards,
- develop best design practices and guidelines;
- advocate for green buildings, and
- develop educational tools to support its members in implementing sustainable design and construction practices.
LEED Canada-NC v1.0
The Canadian version of LEED
is very similar to the USGBC NC version. It contains the following categories:
- Sustainable Sites (SS)
- Water Efficiency (WE)
- Energy and Atmosphere (EA)
- Materials & Resources (MR)
- Indoor Environmental Quality (EQ)
- Innovation in Design (ID)
LEED Certification is done solely through the CaGBC.