The older part of the village lies to the south, just off the B1046 road and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The parish church, St. Michael and All Angels, parts of which date to the 14th Century, is located in this part of the village. Bourn Brook and the route of the former Oxford and Cambridge Railway runs to the south of the village.
Highfields Caldecote is a newer development in the north of the village, where there is a social club and a primary school. The village hall is situated next to the school and was built in 1998, replacing an older building next to the social club. Further development in Highfields since 2000 has led to the construction of a village shop, an extension to the school, a recreation ground and a hairdressing salon. A BP petrol station is located just outside Highfields on the former A428 road at Childerley Gate. The A428 was converted to a dual carriageway and was opened on 24th May 2007, easing driving to and from the village.