is a Jōdō Buddhist
temple in Kamakura
. Famous for its azaleas, it was named after its founder's (great historical figure Hōjō Masako
) posthumous name
. The main object of worship is Amida
Nyōrai, but it also enshrines Senju Kannon, Goddess of Mercy. An’yō-in is Number three of the 33 temples of the Bandō Sanjūsankasho
This temple has a complex history and is the result of the fusion of three separate temples called Chōraku-ji, Zendō-ji and Tashiro-ji. It was first opened in 1225 as Chōraku-ji in Hase Sasamegayatsu by Hōjō Masako for her defunct husband Minamoto no Yoritomo
, founder of the Kamakura shogunate
. At the time it was a Ritsu
sect temple. After being burned to the ground by Nitta Yoshisada
's soldiery in 1333 at the fall of the Kamakura shogunate
, it was fused with Zendō-ji, moved to this spot and renamed, but it burned again in 1680. It was then once more rebuilt and a Senju Kannon (Thousand-armed Goddess of Mercy) was transferred to it from Tashiro-ji in Hikigayatsu.
Points of interest
The great Chinese black pine in the garden is over 700 years old. Behind the temple there are a hōkyō-intō
which is one of Masako's possible graves, and another hōkyō-intō, the oldest in Kamakura, which is an Important Cultural Property.
In its small cemetery (closed to the public) rests famous film director Akira Kurosawa