The Certified Internet Web Professional (CIW)
program was created by a group of professional Web developers and designers. The mission of the CIW program is to investigate the needs of the Web profession on a global basis, then provide industry-verified skill-sets for Web professionals. To achieve this goal, CIW provides high-stakes
assessment exams that validate these credentials for potential employers. CIW focuses on providing a vendor-neutral approach to Web development and design. As a result, the CIW program is the world's largest Internet Technology certification program. Over 115,000 CIW certificationshave been issued since 2000. This number represents over 45,000 individuals worldwide.
CIW is a three-tiered vendor-neutral certification program (Associate, Professional, Master). Each CIW certification path has industry-defined objectives that are mapped to specific job roles.
Several CIW certification paths exist. The most popular is CIW Master CIW Designer
. This credential includes three exams:
- Associate (also known as "CIW Foundations")
- Site Designer
- E-Commerce Designer
All CIW exams are vendor-neutral, high-stakes (meaning proctored) tests. Exams are available worldwide via Prometric
and Pearson VUE
testing centers. In the US, CIW exams are $125.00 each.
CIW has also offers Web-based exam delivery to academic partners for in-class testing.
Most CIW certificants are professional Web designers and developers. CIW also has a strong global following in academic circles. In the United Kingdom and the United States, college credit is awarded for CIW certification.
CIW Community Site
The mission of the CIW Community site is to empower individuals who want to use the latest Web technologies for Web development and design. The CIW Community site is accessible at http://www.CIWCommunity.org.
- Description of CIW from Mid-South Community College (Tennessee): http://www.midsouthcc.edu/programs/schools/ciw.html]
- Article on CIW from Certification Magazine: http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/CM_COMM_DesDev_article.asp?articleid=2115&zoneid=177
- Review of CIW from the University of Paisley (Scotland): http://ciw.paisley.ac.uk/
- Adoption of CIW by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA): http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/computerprep.htm
- CIW Japan Web page: http://www.ciw-japan.com
- CIW China partnership with Shandong Government: http://www.chinatechnews.com/2005/06/19/2610-ciw-china-e-commerce-certifications-to-be-endorsed-by-shandong-government