The Córas Iompair Éireann 601 Class locomotives
were built in 1956-1957, by Motorenfabrik Deutz
. They were 3 small shunting locomotives (601, 602 & 603) of B wheel arrangement and were fitted with a Deutz V8 F/A8L 714 engine of 130hp, with Voith hydraulic transmission and chain final drive. They weighed only 18 tons and had a maximum speed of 32km/h (20mph). They were withdrawn from service between 1965 and 1972, and one of these locomotives, number G601, has been preserved by the Irish Traction Group
and is based at Carrick-on-Suir.
The 601 Class has been made as a 4 mm scale
brass kit by Worsley Works
Steve Johnson's site also has details on kitbashing a model
Irish Traction Group webpage for preserved G601