The station was launched in 1968 by Dancy Broadcasting, as an AM station with the callsign CKJD. The station's original AM frequency was 1250. It was acquired by Rogers Communications in 1972, and moved to 1110 AM in 1977. In 1981, Rogers also launched an FM sister station, CJFI.
When Rogers acquired Maclean-Hunter in 1994, the Blue Water stations were spun off to Blackburn Radio. Blackburn converted the station to FM in 1999, and gave the station its present call sign.
K106.3 programming is enjoyed across the river in the Port Huron, MI area as well.