CHDI is the callsign of a Canadian radio station, broadcasting at 102.9 FM in Edmonton, Alberta. The station broadcasts a modern rock format under the brand name SONiC 102.9.
General Information & History
The OK Radio Group Ltd. was granted this license in 2005 as one of three new FM stations in Edmonton.
The station spent its first year broadcasting from a run down oil-field trailer on the property of the Airways Country Inn in Nisku, Alberta. The station founders wanted to get the station on the air as quickly as possible so it was decided they would broadcast from the trailer until their Gateway Boulevard studios were complete. Local media latched on to their "pirate" story, giving them a huge shot in the arm in their first year.
CHDI FM is now owned and operated by Rogers Broadcasting Ltd. Many listeners have voiced concerns over the takeover from the independently owned OK Radio Group, however many feel the change will ensure the station survives.
On September 17, 2007, Sonic 102.9 began the "Own Your Own Home Edition", a contest where one Edmontonian will win a $50,000 down payment on a Rohit Infusion condo or townhouse. On November 3rd, Sonic announced that James Prince was the winner.
Since the station was launched in 2005, ratings have been steady around a 6 share, peaking at an 8 share, 4th place station in spring 2007, however CHDI dropped to the traditional level with a 6.3 share making it the 7th most listened to station in Edmonton
- Garner Andrews - Host of the Garner Andrews Show weekday mornings, from 6:00 am until 10:00 am. Garner has become known for his rants/discussions on various subjects, from using debit at the Tim Hortons drive-thru, to man crushes and the ever-popular nap index, and is always pushing some sort of agenda, or idea. Features the Sonic Modern Rock Door, daily at 8:20 am where listeners try to guess a song from a very short (usually less than 1 or 2 seconds) clip from the song. Garner also posts a daily Podcast of the program. Available on iTunes or on Garner's blog
- Bryce Kelly - morning show newscaster, taking over at the end of June 2008 after Kory Read left the station a couple months before. Liann Cameron filled in during the gap between Kory and Bryce.
- Teddy Peterson - Garner Andrews Show studio usher.
- Rick Lee - Host of the midday portion of the station, from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm on weekdays - which included The List at noon, which is a block of songs tied together with a common theme.
- Rick is also host of the Sonic Rewind, a countdown show airing on weekends that takes a look back at events that happened over the past week, while counting down the top songs. As well, a yearly edition called the Rewind in Review does the same thing for the previous year.
- Layne Mitchell - Host of the drive shift from 3:00 pm until 8:00 pm. Features "Steering Wheel of Fortune" on Fridays.
- Liann Cameron - The evening host at Sonic, on the air from 8:00 pm until midnight. Liann is also the host of Hey Ma! I'm on Sonic! every Thursday night at 10:00 pm. This is a time of the week when a Sonic listener gets to co-host her show and pick all the music.
- Shaun Bogner - weekend/overnight host, and Transformers fan.
- Graham Scott - The weekend host on the station. In August 2007, he moved to Sonic's sister station, CKER-FM (World FM) to take over the morning show. However, after a short-stint in mornings, Graham returned to weekend hosting on Sonic.
- Adam Thompson - Left the station in December 2006 in order to travel around Asia. Following his trip, he returned to Sonic in September 2007. When Jason Manning left to start a Modern Rock station in Medicine Hat, Alberta - Rock 105.3 - Adam became the new Music Director.
- Al Ford - Sonic's Program Director, who also hosts weekend mornings before the Rewind & The Ongoing History of New Music.
- Adam and Al host Farm Fresh Sundays at 8:00 pm. This is a show devoted to new music that they just received, or up-and-coming artists.
Former on-air personalities
- Sherry Ryan - Returned to school in the summer of 2006.
- Kory Read - Kory won his job as the SONiC Newcaster in the Fall of 2005. Ultimately, the SONiC listeners voted to have Kory as the Newscaster. Kory left SONiC in 2008 to return to his career as a teacher in Berlin.
Band of the Month
Sonic has a feature called "Band of the Month", which features a local band or artist from the Edmonton region and gives them airtime. Some previous bands of the month have received more attention, such as Ten Second Epic
or Tupelo Honey
Former bands of the month include: Drive By Punch, Screwtape Lewis, Murder City Sparrows, Jets to Theory, Red Shag Carpet, Our Mercury, Whitey Houston, Mark Birtles Project, My Sister Ocean, Casanova Playboys, Calico Drive, Rake, Ellis, The Surgents, Tim Gilbertson, Hot Panda, Radioforhelp, and Michael Rault and the Mixed Signals.