The station was launched in 1954 on AM 1300. In 1980, the station was granted a rebroadcaster on FM 88.5, to offset AM radio reception problems in the Moncton area. The CBC operated both transmitters until 1988, when the AM transmitter was discontinued and the FM transmitter became the station's primary frequency.
There are other stations which use the CBAF-FM call sign and a numerical suffix, but despite this situation, they are not rebroadcasters of CBAF-FM. This includes CBAF-FM-5 in Halifax, Nova Scotia and CBAF-FM-15 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, and also their own respective rebroadcasters. CBAF-FM-5 and CBAF-FM-15 officially became licensed as independent stations by 1987 and 1994 respectively.