According to the 2001 census the civil parish had a total population of 582.
The Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal, just south of Hurleston Junction, runs north–south through the civil parish, immediately to the east of Burland village. The canal is crossed by Wrexham Bridge (carrying the A534) and the grade-II-listed Swanley Bridge, which dates from around 1793, as well as three footbridges: Bethills Bridge, Stoneley Green Bridge and Platt's Bridge. North of Swanley Bridge lies Swanley Lock No. 2; the grade-II-listed lock dates from 1805 and is in blue-and-red brick with stone copings.
Several small conifer plantations fall within the civil parish, including Admiral's Plantation and Tally-ho Covert to the north of Ravensmoor, and Long Plantation near Swanley.
A Primitive Methodist Chapel dating from 1833 was located in the civil parish; it closed in 1965.
Swanley Hall in Burland is an L-shaped red-brick farmhouse originally dating from the early 16th century. Green Farm House in Burland Upper Green is a red-brick farmhouse dating from the 17th century.
The civil parish also contains several grade-II-listed black-and-white cottages dating from the 17th century, some of which retain thatched roofs. These include Hollybank Cottage in Barracks Lane, Pear Tree Farmhouse and Rose & End Cottages in Stoneley Green, and Sparrows Roost in Swanley Lane.
Wrexham Road in Burland village is lined by several grade-II-listed buildings dating from around 1870, formerly cottages of the Peckforton Estates. The red-brick cottages feature hexagonal latticed windows, ornate timber gabling and a prominent central chimney stack. Burland Farm House, also built for the Peckforton Estate, is of a similar date.
Ravensmoor Windmill, a former windmill dating from the early 19th century, has been restored as a residential property.