Bure enjoys a flourishing small business and connection point of businesses between Wolega, Gondar and Shewa. An agricultural training college and the Bure mineral water factory are the main modern industrial opportunities in the Town.
Based on figures from the Central Statistical Agency in 2005, this town has an estimated total population of 23,292, of whom 11,535 were males and 11,757 were females. The 1994 census reported this town had a total population of 13,437 of whom 6,069 were males and 7,368 were females. It is the largest of two towns in Bure Wemberma woreda.
Bure is located at a group of hot springs that were popular during the 19th century for their theraputic properties. By 1880, its market was mentioned as having some trade in gold.
In the late 1930s, during the Italian occupation, Bute was described as a large village with a market locate on a ridge between the upper valleys of Fettam/Sarki and Selala. It had two churches, one dedicated to Kidus Yohannes and the other to Kidane Mihret. It also reportedly had a radio telegraph station, a clinic, and the residence of the local Italian official. Because the town was an important strongpoint on the Bahir Dar-Debre Marqos road, its capture by Gideon Force and the followers of Dejazmach Negash Bezibeh 4 March 1941 was a significant contribution to the defeat of the Italians in Ethiopia.