Following this turmoil, the emperor Aurangzeb dismissed Ibrahim Khan and appointed his own grandson Azim-ush-shan governor. However, the general lawlessness which was the hallmark of the last years of Aurangzeb's life, and which presaged the demise of the Mughal empire, was already rife over the land. Jagatram Ray was murdered in 1702. He left two sons, Kirtichand Ray and Mitrasen Ray. As the elder son, Kirtichand Ray inherited the estates, while Mitrasen Ray was granted a fixed annuity from the estate's exchequer. Kirtichand Ray made the best of the then prevalent lawless situation: he fought with the Rajas of Chandrakona, Barda and Bishnupur and added the parganas of Chitua, Bhursut, Barda and Manoharshahi to his fief. In 1736, he received a firman from the powerless, figurehead Mughal emperor Muhammed Shah, confirming him in his new acquisitions and recognizing him as Zamindar of Chandrakona. He died in 1740 and was succeeded by Chitrasen Ray, who was conferred the title of "Raja" by the emperor in 1740. Chitrasen Ray died childless in 1744 and was succeeded by his cousin's son Tilakchand Ray, who also received the title of Raja. At this time, some other estates were added to his fief.
In the initial years, the HEIC and its officers was notoriously rapacious, both in exacting revenue for the company and "gifts" and trade concessions for the officers personally. The amount of revenue demanded by the company was set arbitrarily at an unreasonable figure and could not be paid regularly. When Tilakchand proved irregular in the payment of revenue, the HEIC threatened to deprive him of his fief. In alliance with the Zamindar of Birbhum, Tilakchand faced a British force at a ford on the river Banka near Sangotgola and was defeated. This was on December 29, 1760.
Tilakchand died aged 37, leaving a minor son, Tejchand. His widow, Rani Vishnukumari, managed the affairs of the estate between 1776 and 1779, before handing over charge to her 14-year-old son Tejchand. Under the terms of the Permanent Settlement of Bengal Act (1793), Raja Tejchand entered into an agreement with the HEIC to pay them an annual revenue of Rs.40,15,109/- and also a "bridge-building charge" of Rs. 1,93,721/-. These terms also proved impossible to meet, and payments soon fell into arrears. Soon enough, in 1797, the Board of Revenue ordered the sale of portions of the fief for realization of arrears of revenue. The Permanent Settlement effected by the British, with its unreasonable revenue demands, drained the province of its very sustanance. The pressure on the landlords to meet these unreasonable demands resulted in the gradual but inexorable immiseration of the peasantry.
The family continued as Zamindars of Burdwan and came to be recognized as "the premier nobleman of lower Bengal. Their financial situation improved as certain revenue reforms were carried out by the HEIC. By 1911, their rent-roll was upwards of £300,000. The estate attained great prosperity due to the excellent management of Maharaja Mahtab Chand (born 1820, ruled 1832-1879), who held the estate when the British Crown assumed the government of India in 1858. Mehtab Chand's loyalty to the British, especially during the "Hul" (Santhal rebellion) of 1855-56 and the Indian rebellion of 1857, was rewarded with the grant of a coat of arms in 1868 and the right to a personal salute of 13 guns in 1877. In 1864, Mehtab Chand was appointed as an additional member of the governor-general's Legislative Council. He was the first Bengali to receive that honour. One of his successors, Bijai Chand, (b. 1881, ruled 1887-1941), earned great distinction by the courage with which he risked his life to save that of Sir Andrew Fraser, lieutenant-governor of Bengal, when an attempt to assassinate him was made by malcontents on November 7, 1908.
In 1882, the Burdwan Raj College was started in Burdwan, which was supported entirely by the revenues of the estate.
The family also constructed several tanks and temples. Ghanashyam Rai, son of the founder Abu Ray, constructed a large tank, the Shyam Sagar. His son Krishanaram Ray constructed the Krishna Sagar tank. His grandson Kirtichand Ray, who founded the town of Kanchannagar, constructed the excavated the Yadeswardih tank. The Ranisagar tank was excavated by order of Kirtichand's mother Brajakishori, who also erected the Baikunthanath Siva temple at Kalna. Kirtichand's son Chitrasen Ray built the famous Siddheswari Temple in Kalna. During the rule of Chitrasen's son Tilakchand, several temples were built. His mother Lakshmikumari erected the Sri Krishna temple at Kalna, while his wife Chhangakumari erected the Jagannath temple at Kalna. Other legacies include the Sarbamangala temple, the Baikunthanath Siva temple, the Bijoy Toran and the Rajbadi (palace). Antpur in the district of Hooghly in West Bengal has a number of terracotta temples that have won applause from lovers of antpur.
All the monuments in Antpur are located in land owned by the Mitra family, an erstwhile Zaminder of the area. To Krishnaram Mitra, a dewan of Maharaja Kirtichandara of Burdwan Raj, goes the credit of erecting the most richly decorated terracotta temple of Radha-Govinda.
This temple, founded in 1786, is of well-known Bengali hut atchata-type with a do-chala ante-chamber in the front. On three sides, east, south and west, is found opulence of carved terracotta figurines depicting legends from the Ramayana, Mahabharata and the Puranas. Battle scenes of Rama-Ravana confrontation are depicted on the central frieze of the south facade of the temple. The western facade depicts Kali killing demons in a fierce battle. There are also many secular scenes like hunting, soldiers marching, the local Zaminder or Raja being carried in a palanquin.
Outside the compound of the Radha-Govinda temple there are a few brick temples belonging to the second half of the eighteenth century.