The Small Green Awlet
, or Bibasis amara
, is a species of hesperid
butterfly found in Northeast India
and Southeast Asia
. The butterfly has now been reassigned to genus Burara
vide Vane-Wright and de Jong (2003) and is now Burara amara
The Small Green Awlet ranges from India
eastwards through Assam
), to Myanmar
and South Yunnan
. It is also found in the Andaman islands
The type locality is Northeast Bengal.
Rare in the Himalayas. Very Rare in the Andamans
- See glossary for terms used.
The butterfly has a wingspan of 45 to 55 mm.
Watson (1891) gives a detailed description:
- Male and female. Upperside brown with a greenish gloss ; costal streak of forewing ochreous yellow in the male, less prominent in the female ; male with a blackish subbasal patch. Cilia of both wings short and brownish white. Body dark brown ; abdomen with greyish segmental bands. Underside, forewing brown, becoming bluish black along the base of the costa ; posterior margin broadly brownish white ; hindwing bluish black ; veins of both wings brownish white, the space between them having a greyish blue parallel line running their entire length. Both wings also with the black ochreous-yellow-encirled basal spot. Thorax in front and beneath, head, palpi, legs, middle of abdomen, and anal tuft ochreous yellow. Femora and tibiae with a black spot ; sides of abdomen black, the segmental bands prominent, Cilia greyish.
- (1932) The Identification of Indian Butterflies. 2nd Ed, (i to x, pp454, Plates I to XXXII), Bombay Natural History Society, Mumbai, India.
- (1891) Hesperiidae indicae. Vest and Co. Madras.
- , , & (Editors). 2003. The Global Lepidoptera Names Index (LepIndex). World Wide Web electronic publication. (accessed 22 September 2007).
- and , (2007). Coeliadinae Evans 1937. Version 21 February 2007 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Coeliadinae/12150/2007.02.21 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/
- Website on Lepidoptera (accessed 22 September 2007)