is the German
word for Federation
, in which context it is pronounced "boont
Bund is also an English word deriving from the Urdu word band, which means embankment, levee or dam. In this context it is usually pronounced to rhyme with fund.
Bund when pronounced "boond" also means 'rear end' or butt in Urdu/Punjabi.
It can also refer to:
- The Bund, a famous waterfront area in Shanghai, China
- The Bund (Kobe), a similar waterfront area in Kobe, Japan
- General Jewish Labor Union, initially founded in the Russian Empire
- German American Bund, a pro-Nazi pre-World War II organisation
- BUND (environmental association), Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland e. V., the German section of Friends of the Earth International
- Bunding, structure designed to prevent inundation or breaches, for example a liquid containment facility that prevent leaks and spillage from tanks and pipes.
- Der Bund, a German language newspaper published in Berne, Switzerland
- Bund Garden, a garden in northeastern Pune, India. The Bund Garden Bridge, alongside the older Fitzgerald Bridge, crosses the Mula-Mutha River near the garden.
- Károly Bund, Hungarian forestry engineer and early environmentalist
- Bundesanleihen (or Bund), German 10 year government bond.