Bumpus Mills is an unincorporated community in Stewart County, Tennessee, United States. Located on Saline Creek, it lies five miles east of the Cumberland River, three miles south of the Kentucky border, and ten miles northeast of Dover. The town was named in honor of Andrew Jackson Bumpus who established a grist, saw, and flour mill on Saline Creek in 1846.
The community is part of the Clarksville, TN–KY Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Crossing Saline Creek
Over the years there have been several bridges across Saline Creek. In the early 1900s a swinging walkway bridge spanned the creek, in 1913 an iron bridge was constructed for wagons and the new "horseless carriages" to travel across. This iron
bridge was blown away by a tornado
on June 18, 1928. Thereafter, a new concrete bridge was constructed to replace it. This concrete
structure was merely a simple single laned bridge. It was replaced by a new and modern bridge and was dedicated on October 23, 1975.
In the past there have been several civic organizations in the Bumpus Mills community such as; Lineport Masonic Lodge
, Rangers, Eastern Star
, Odd Fellows
, Woodmen of the World
, and Granger
Houses of worship
Bumpus Mills has had its share of churches throughout its history. Andrew Jackson Bumpus was a minister as well. There was a Primitive Baptist Church, Brandon's Chapel Free Will Baptist
, Church of Christ
, Missionary Baptist, and Methodist
The first known school in the Bumpus Mills community was a 20 ft square log structure known as Miller's Chapel. Later in 1903, Glendale Institute was constructed and opened and was eventually replaced by Bumpus Mills School in 1928. Today the children of Bumpus Mills are bused to North Stewart Elementary School which was opened in 1974.
- Stewart County Heritage, Volume One, Taylor Publishing, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 80-54540.