Buhuşi is a town in Bacău County, Romania with a population of about 18,980. It was first mentioned in the 15th century when it was named "Bodeşti" and was a property of an important family of Boyars named "Buhuş". Lucian Predescu (on page 137 in "Cugetarea Encyclopaedia" (1936 - 1939); and Constantin C. Giurescu and Dinu C. Giurescu (on page 576 in "Romanians History") say that the town was called Bucureşti.
The town had the biggest textile factory in south-eastern Europe. But the factory has drastically reduced its capabilities after 1989 and currently employs less than 200 workers. The Runc Monastery (built in 1457), located near Buhuşi, is one of the famous monasteries built by Stephen the Great of Moldavia in Moldavia during the Othoman Wars in the 15th century.
Buhuşi has five primary schools and one high school, the Ion Borcea Technical College.
Buhuşi has one of the three zoos in Moldavia. The other two are in Brăila and Piatra Neamţ. Unfortunately, the zoo in Buhuşi is in a poor condition, and animals were almost dying of hunger a while ago.