was an important songwriter during the early twentieth century
. He was born on September 24
(which is now in Austria
). He died on October 4, 1965
in Detroit, Michigan
in the United States of America
. His name at birth was Arthur B. Fields
. His most famous song "You Gotta Be A Football Hero
" was cowritten with Al Sherman
and Al Lewis
. Fields was both an author
having been educated in Chicago public schools
World War I
During World War I
, he served in the 133rd Machine Gun Battalion, 36th Division
He appeared in vaudeville
and cafes, then became a theatrical agent. Joining ASCAP
, he collaborated musically with the likes of Al Sherman
, Al Lewis
, Gerald Marks
and Art Berman.
Partial List of Songwriting Credits
- "You Gotta Be A Football Hero"
- "You're the One, You Beautiful Son-of-a-Gun"
- "The Night Shall Be Filled With Music"
- "With You on My Mind I Can't Write the Words"
- "By the Sign of the Rose"
- "Chinnin' and Chattin' With May"
- "The Pump Song"
- "Indoor Outdoor Girl"
- "By a Camp Fire"
- "If It Wasn't for You"
- "How Can I Be Anything but Blue"
- "I'll Get Along Somehow".