is a town in France
. It is the centre of a commune
in the Vosges département
, and also the main town in its canton
. The town built up around a castle built on a hill in the locality in the 6th century. It was the birthplace of Jean Lurçat
, in 1892.
In the Second World War
, it was liberated from German occupation by Japanese-American
soldiers of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team
It is also the title of No. 5 in French composer Claude Debussy's 'Preludes for Piano', Book Two.