|Motto: Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam|
|President||Rev. Edward A. Reese, S.J.|
|Religious affiliation||Jesuit (Roman Catholic)|
|Enrollment||about 1,380 male students|
Built in 1928, the chapel was designed for the students of Brophy College Preparatory. Along with the classroom building and faculty residence, the Chapel was donated by Mrs. William Henry Brophy in memory of her husband. The contractor was the A.F. Wasielewski Company of Phoenix; the architect was Mr. John R. Kibbey of Los Angeles.
At the main entrance, the large wooden doors hint at the Spanish influence that is felt throughout the chapel. Having spent a year in Spain and several years in Mexico, Mr. Kibbey had a genuine feeling for the heritage of the Catholic Hispanic Southwest. The interior of this church combines much of the Catholic spirit of Andalusia in southern Spain and the 18th century church architecture found in different parts of Mexico. The Spanish Colonial architecture is more restrained than the flamboyant baroque of the numerous period churches of Mexico, but is more sophisticated than that of the mission churches of southern Arizona, New Mexico and California.
Upon entering the Chapel, one's first impression after leaving the brightness of the Arizona sunlight is similar to that of entering the dim cathedral atmosphere of a European church. The filtered light of the heavily stained glass windows tones down the brilliantly painted ceiling of Spanish design, the Moorish influence seen in so much of the Catholic church architecture of Spain.
The large impressive crucifix on the right is an outstanding specimen of art by a wood carver of Rome. The sacristy to the left of the altar features an article of historic interest, a large wooden crucifix carved about 1670. It came from the Monk's Cemetery at Evaux near Montfaucon in France, and was a survivor of the World War I battle of Verdun.
The abundant use of sea shells in the chapel - carved into the main altar and decorating the wall lights under the windows - is very common in Spanish colonial architecture. The tradition has its origin in the shells of St. James (Santiago de Compostela).
The heavy and intricately wrought iron chandeliers are of pure Spanish design but the handiwork of a local blacksmith shop. Transverse structural I-beams, encased in wood, carry the weight of the ceiling; the length-wise beams are of solid pine. Small sections of the latter, recently found in the attic, provide an entrance to the Baptistry at the rear of the chapel.
A small section of the original communion rail, removed after Vatican Council 11, stands at a side altar, dedicated to St. Ignatius.
The painting on the wall of the Baptistry, depicting the history and growth of Phoenix, was the work of Michael Tang, a Brophy student who became a member of the Jesuit Order. The coat of arms of the Society of Jesus over the southeast exit from the chapel, and the seal of the Society of Jesus over the back exit are a rather recent work of craftsman in Taiwan. The statue of St. Francis Xavier in the vestibule was the work of a wood carver in Rome.
The structure of the chapel is made of brick and cement mixed on site. Its tower, 135 high, is perfectly proportioned, a desert land mark through the 30's. The fountain in the front patio was built and donated by the A. F. Wasielewski Company in memory of their founder. The original cast-iron statue of St. Francis Xavier over the fountain, was destroyed in a wind storm. The present cast-stone statue of the Sacred Heart was installed in 1966.
The laying of the cornerstone on April 29, 1928, brought together in Phoenix "probably the greatest assembly of Roman Catholic church dignitaries ever to gather in Arizona." Also present were many leaders of the city, county, state and federal governments.
The theme of the windows is the symbolism of the articles of the Apostles' Creed. Starting up front with the window near the pulpit and going counterclockwise, the articles of faith are symbolized as follows:
1) The Alpha and Omega, first and last letters of the Greek alphabet: God, the beginning and end of all. (A.E. Child, Artist). View window
2) Deus (Latin for God). Triangle: The most holy Trinity. The all-seeing eye: Omiscience of God. Ark of Noah, Sceptre and crown: Power and majesty of God. (A.E. Child, Artist). View window
3) Sacred Heart: love of Christ. IHS: first three letters of Greek spelling of "Jesus" (Michael Healy, artist). View window
4) Immaculate Heart of Mary, pierced by a sword. Angel Gabriel and Mary: the Annunciation. Letters M and A interwoven. Serpent crushed by Mary. (Hubert McGoldrick, artist). View window
5) Holy Sacrifice of the Mass: chalice and host, wheat and grapes: Blessed Sacrament. (Katherine O'Brien, artist). View window
6) (new window in the choir loft): Passion and Death of Christ: Cross, Crown of thorns, pillar and scourges, and other instruments of the crucifixion. (William Lupkin, artist). View window
7) Christ, victim for our sins: Pelican feeding its young with its heart's blood, and sacrificial lamb. (Katherine O'Brien, artist). View window
8) The Holy Spirit: dove of love and peace, fire and torch of enlightenment and zeal. (Hubert McGoldrick, artist). View window
9) The Holy Catholic Church: St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, fountain as dispenser of Graces. (Ethel Rhind, artist). View window
10) Communion of Saints: Thurible smoke from incense rising to heaven. Forgiveness of sins: keys of authority given to St. Peter. (A.E. Child, Artist). View window
11) Resurrection of the Body: the butterfly. Life everlasting: the crown and palms of victory. (A.E. Child, artist). View window
Weddings are performed in this chapel only when either the groom is a Brophy graduate or the bride is an alumna of Xavier High School. Click Here For Reservation Info
Antique Crucifix: Mr. James S. Douglas, friend and business associate of Mr. William Brophy.
Marble Baptismal font: The Ladies Sodality, 1947.
Pipe Organ: Mrs. Robert Kelley.
Stations of the Cross: Mrs. Virginia Remp (A. B. Clausen, artist: frames made and d by Ray J. Becker).
Side altar statues: the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Hughes; St. Ignatius Mr. and Mrs. Norbert Sinski; St. Joseph, Mr. and Mrs. David Vienna.
Altar drapery: Mr. Rory Brophy. Sacred Heart statue: (Patio fountain) The Jerry Glenn family.
Stained glass window (choir loft): The Bayless Families.
Restoration of windows, 1985: Brophy Mothers.
Three stained glass windows: designed, produced, and donated by Scottsdale artist, William Lupkin.
Text ₢ Brophy College Prep 2007