(50 acres) are public gardens located within Wheaton Regional Park
, at 1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton, Maryland
. The gardens themselves are open daily without charge. However, certain annual events there are held that may charge a nominal fee.
Major features of the garden are as follows:
- Aquatic Garden – water-loving plants with two ponds and gazebo.
- Azalea Garden – over 300 varieties of azaleas represented by 2,000 plants. Also rhododendrons, witchhazels, hollies, Japanese andromeda, sweet-box, skimmia, and shade-tolerant perennials.
- Butterfly Garden – Seasonal in summer only. Admission fee.
- Children’s “Fairy Folk” Garden
- Conservatories – seasonal displays and special exhibits. The surrounding garden contains a collection of unusual conifers and groundcovers.
- Fragrance Garden
- Gude Garden – a Japanese-style landscape with bamboo, beech, unusual conifers, dogwood, and groundcovers, as well as an island teahouse overlooking the ponds.
- Maple Terrace – raised beds within a planting of ‘Suminagashi’ Japanese maples.
- Nature center – with exhibits on local wildlife. Parking lot has a separate entrance.
- Perennial Garden – wisterias, roses, Jasmine stephanense, buddleia, and Prunus x cistena, allium, geranium, sedum, panicum, lespedeza, calamagrostis, anemones, asters, acanthus, and agastache, etc.
- Reflection Terrace – a memorial to the ten individuals killed in October, 2002 by the Washington snipers.
- Rock Garden – spring flowering bulbs with grasses and conifers.
- Rose Garden – all types of roses, including hybrid tea, rugosa hybrids, grandiflora, English, miniature, floribunda, shrub, groundcover, polyantha, climber, Gallica, hybrid musk, and the garden rose.
- Trial Garden – spring flowering bulbs, then summer displays of new and unusual plant varieties,.
- Woodland Walk – forested wetland with bald cypress, tulip poplar, spicebush, and groundcover of mayapple, fern, and skunk cabbage. A native plant garden includes approximately 124 species and cultivars of Maryland native plants.
- Yew Garden – a garden room within yew hedges.