The village of Britsum is sited within the municipality of Leeuwarderadeel (province of Friesland), in the Netherlands. Britsum was built on an artificial bank (terp) running along the eastern side of the former Middelzee. The church, built around 1300, is also located on this bank. It has a population of about 1100 citizens. Britsum was served by a station on the North Friesland Railway which opened in 1901 and closed to passengers in July 1936, it reopened to passengers in May 1940 and closed to passengers again in December 1940. The line finally closed in 1997.