Straddling the border of Washtenaw
Counties in Southeast Michigan
, Whitmore Lake High School
is the only high school in the Whitmore Lake Public School District. The district is located in the census-designated place
also known as Whitmore Lake
. Enrollment in the 9th through 12th grade high school is approximately 450 students. The school's colors are red
, and their mascot
is the Trojans
Whitmore Lake High School moved to a new building for the commencement of classes in fall of 2006.
Change to Trimesters
Along with the move to the new high school building, Whitmore Lake High School has also switched from a more traditional two semester school year to trimesters. This allows students to reduce their class load from seven classes per day to only five while actually increasing the total number of classes they are able to take. In the old two semester system, students took seven classes per semester, for a total of 14 credits a year. In trimesters, each student takes five classes per trimester, for a total of 15 credits a year. In addition, classes are 70 minutes long instead of the previous 46 minutes.
These class offerings are for the 2006-2007 school year.
- ;Art:Art, Advanced Art, Pottery
- ;Music:Marching Band, Concert Band, Choir
- ;English:English 9, English 10, Accelerated American Lit., English 11, Brit Lit, Senior English, AP English, Reading Workshop, Newspaper, Desktop Journalism, Creative Writing, Speech, Forensics, Genre Studies
- ;Math:Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Geometry- Proofs & Theorems, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus
- ;Science:Biology, Health, Earth & Physical Science, Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry, Natural Science, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics
- ;Social Studies:U.S. History, World Issues, Economics, Government, Practical Law, Psychology, Sociology, Gender Studies, Current Events
- ;Business & Technology:Business Systems & Technology, Marketing, Computer Arts, Desktop Publishing, Business Management, Information Technology, Movie Making, Broadcasting, Web Design, Video Game Design
- ;Other Electives:Yearbook, Lifeguarding, Parenting, Child Development
The school supports a variety of athletic teams. One of the more successful teams at WLHS has arguably been the only team to win state championships: the 1995 and 1996 girls' cross country
teams. The competitive cheer
team has made it to the state finals repeatedly in their history, and the football
team has enjoyed berths in the state playoffs throughout the early naughts
Whitmore Lake is a member of the Tri-County Conference, which includes sports teams from Whiteford, Summerfield, Morenci, Sand Creek, Britton, Adrian Madison, and Deerfield. The 2007-2008 season will see the addition of Clinton to the conference.