Brandy Station

Brandy Station

Brandy Station, small trading center, Culpeper co., Va. It was the scene of the greatest cavalry engagement of the Civil War (also called the battle of Fleetwood Hill), fought June 9, 1863. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton's Union cavalry surprised Confederate Gen. Jeb Stuart's cavalry and fought a hard battle before the approach of Confederate infantry forced a withdrawal across the Rappahannock. This engagement was followed by the Gettysburg campaign.

Brandy Station is a historic unincorporated community in Culpeper County, Virginia, United States. Its original name was Brandy. The name Brandy Station comes from the Orange and Alexandria Railroad station that was constructed in the 19th century.

Brandy Station was the site of the 1863 Battle of Brandy Station, the largest predominantly cavalry engagement of the American Civil War as well as the largest to take place ever on American soil.

Culpeper Regional Airport is located on Beverly Ford Road in Brandy Station.

See also

Notes

External links

Search another word or see Brandy Stationon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;