The original station opened in 1850 but was replaced by a much grander station in 1870, which incorporated a concert hall, long and wide. The station was served not only by the North London Railway but also by Great Eastern Railway trains to Fenchurch Street and a shuttle service to Plaistow.
The North London Railway was severely damaged by bomb damage in the Blitz and the line east of Dalston Junction was closed in 1944 and never re-opened to passengers. The concert hall went through a variety of uses, as the The Bow and Bromley Institute, then in 1887 the East London Technical College and a Salvation Army hall in 1911. From the 1930s it was used as the Embassy Billiard Hall and after the war became the Bow Palais but was badly damaged in a fire in 1956 and demolished. The station buildings remained in uses as a parcel office until it was closed in 1965.
After being left run-down the station was finally demolished when the Docklands Light Railway was built, reusing the NLR line. Today, the station site is occupied by a car hire firm; directly across the road lies Bow Church DLR station.