It was obliged to release 10000000 gallons a day, to ensure this happened, a gauging basin 40 ft in diameter,was built.The drinking water flowed by gravity through the Mottram Tunnel to the Godley covered reservoir, Valehouse and Bottoms cannot contribute because they are too low.
In 1877 turbines were introduced at Bottoms to produce electricity that powered the company offices and the works electric train. This operated for 28 years.
In 1998 remedial safety work was done. The clay core and crest was raised by 2.5m, and a dry metalled track constructed on the crest. The bywash channel bridge was replaced to give greater clearance, and the stonework of the bywash channel and the tumbling bay was repointed.