Borculo is a former municipality and a village in the eastern Netherlands, in the Province of Gelderland.
On January first 2005 the municipality Borculo merged with the municipalities of Eibergen, Neede and Ruurlo into the municipality of Berkelland.
The city of Borculo
Borculo began as a settlement near where, at the time, the Berkel joined a smaller stream called the Grolse Slinge. In the 12th century a castle called the Hof van Borculo was built. A defensive wall surrounding the village was constructed in 1348. The village received city rights
in 1375. The city wall is demolished, but parts of the defensive moat which was also used as a trading route over the Berkel to the city's along the Berkel (such as Zutphen
), can still be found in Borculo.
In 1777 the region came into the possession of Stadtholder William V, after which the castle was demolished and rebuilt. Most of the castle was demolished in 1869-1870, but parts of the keep still exist.
Today, Borculo is probably known best for the tornado that destroyed much of the village on August 10 1925. Tornadoes that are this disastrous are very rare in the Netherlands.